Report by Lisa Satterwhite,
Chamber of Commerce
For Saturday, September 14, 2012
Did you know... Murray Received “Playful City USA” designation for 5th consecutive year ? Today’s children spend less time playing outside than any previous generation, but in celebration of this designation and to create another opportunity for play, free play activities will be the focus of Celebration of Play Day on Saturday, September 22 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Central Park in Murray. There will be a kickoff at 11 a.m. There will be both supervised and independent play. Children of all ages will enjoy geocaching, stomp rockets, corn hole, sumo wrestling, belly bumpers, disc golf, plasma cars, Lego builds and much more. There will be refreshments at low cost and adoptable dogs ready to play.
Coming Up Around Town:
- ?Humane Society Yard Sale, Little Shop of
Collars, 200 S. 4th St., Sept 15, 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. ?
- ‘Proofs’ Juried Photography Competition
Reception, Robert O. Miller Conference Center, Sept
15, 6 - 8 p.m.; Exhibit thru Oct. 8. ?
- Fall 2012 Art Hop Trolley-Bike-Walk, Sept 15, 6
- 9 p.m.,
www.murrayartguild.org for schedule, free. ?
- MSU Dept. of History James W. Hammack, Jr.
Scholarship Banquet, Curris Center, Sept 15, 7 p.m.
- Big River, Playhouse in the Park, Fri., Sat.,
Sun. thru - Sept. 16,
www.playhouseinthepark.net for tickets. ?
- Sanjie: A Chinese Shadow Puppet Play, Robert E.
Johnson Theatre, Sept. 16 - 17, 7:30 p.m.; Sept. 18,
2:30 p.m. ?
- Family Caregiver Support Group, Emeritus at
Murray (formerly Glendale Place, Sept. 17, 1:30 p.m.
- Health Express, Weak’s Center, Sept. 18, 8:30 -
11:30 a.m., Blood Pressure and Osteoporosis
- Humane Society Volunteer Celebration, Chestnut
Park Main Pavilion, Sept. 18, 6 p.m. ?
- ALS Support Group, Center for Health & Wellness,
Sept. 19, 6 - 7 p.m. ?
- Stroke and Head Injury Support Group, Center for
Health & Wellness, Sept. 20, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. ?
- Health Express, Center for Health & Wellness,
Sept. 21, 6 - 10 a.m., Cholesterol Screening. ?
- Fall on the Farm, MSU Pullen Farm, Sept. 22, 9
a.m. - 4 p.m., $5 per person. ?
- 2012 Playful City USA Play Day Celebration,
Central Park, Sept. 22, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. ?
- Play Day with Humane Society, MCC Park, Sept.
22, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. ?
- Poker Run, Briggs & Stratton Parking Lot, Sept.
22, Registration: 9:45 a.m.; Bikes Out: 10:30
a.m.; Last Bike In: 3 p.m., Paris Landing, call
270-759-1680, ext. 1158, $10 per rider. ?
- 4th Annual Murray Adult Spelling Bee, Murray
Woman’s Club, Sept. 24, 6:30 p.m. $25 for team of 3,
call 270-753-2350 to register. ?
- Fort Heiman Camp #1834, Sons of Confederate
Veterans Meeting, Old Penny Store, Sept. 24, 7 p.m.,
Speaker: Johnny Gingles. ?
- Arts on the Square, Court Square, Sept. 25, 8
a.m. - noon. ?
- Farmer’s Market of Murray - Calloway County,
Fridays 3 - 6 p.m.; Murray Main Street Farmer’s
Market, Saturdays, 7 a.m. - Noon. ?
- Bethel University Offering New Online Bachelor
of Science Programs, Starting Oct. 27 and Nov. 17,
call 731-415-2560 for more info. ?
- Bank of Cadiz Travel Club hosts Holiday at
Cheekwood & Franklin, Dec. 4, Register by Nov. 9,
Space is limited,
www.bankofcadiz.com o or call 270-759-4852 for
Welcome New Chamber Members:
Beane’s Solar Farm, Mark and Pam Beane, 1551 Clayton
Rd., Murray, KY 42071, 270-227-1733.
Crenshaw In-Ground Pools, John T. Mills, 1219 Sam
Downs Rd., Cadiz, KY 42211, 270-350-1218.
Upcoming Ribbon Cuttings/Events:
Chamber on the Breakfast Show, WNBS 1340 AM, First and Third Mondays, 7:30 - 8 a.m.
Seminar, Commerce Center, Wednesdays thru Oct. 10, Noon
- 1 p.m.: Sept. 19 - Using Microsoft Excel; Sept. 26 -
Retirement Planning; Oct. 3 - Health Care Reform:
What’s It Mean to Your Business; Oct. 10 - Top 10
Reasons Businesses Fail.
506 N. 12th St., Suite E, Sept. 21, 6 p.m.
For more information
on becoming a member of the Murray-Calloway County
Chamber of Commerce or hosting a Chamber event contact
Lance Allison or Lisa Satterwhite at 753-5171.