Report by Lisa Satterwhite,
Chamber of Commerce
For Saturday, September 7, 2012
Did you know... The 4th Annual Murray Adult Spelling Bee is Monday, Sept. 24 at 6:30 p.m.? Held at the Murray Woman’s Clubhouse, this event consists of teams of three for a fee of $25. Proceeds benefit the Calloway County Adult Education and Murray Woman’s Club - Alpha Dept. A silent auction will be featured and refreshments will also be available. Come watch the spelling competition fun for $1 admission. Call 270-753-2350 to register for play.
Coming Up Around Town:
- Ice Cream Festival and Cruise-In, Court Square,
Sept. 7th, call 270-759-9474 for festival info and
270-382-2139 for cruise-in.
- Humane Society's Adoption and Pet ID Day, Ice
Cream Festival, Court Square, Sept. 7th
- Run For Recovery 5K Run/Fun Walk, The Arboretum, MSU, Sept. 8, Registration:
8 a.m.; Start: 8:30 a.m., call 270-227-7632 for more info.
- A Festive Flower Workshop - Hands On DIY Floral
Design Class, A Festive Touch, 1625 St. Rt. 121 N.
Bypass, Today, 1 p.m., $30, all goods provided,
- Alzheimer Support Group, Weaks Community Center, Sept. 11, 5 - 6:30 p.m.
- Active Parenting Now, Calloway CO. Extension Office, Sept. 13, 5:30 - 8 p.m., call 753-1452 for more info.
- Murray’s Citywide Yard Sale, Sept. 15, call 759-2199 for map info
- 'Proofs' Juried Photography Competition Reception, Robert O. Miller
Conference Center, Sept. 15, 6 - 8 p.m.; Exhibit thru Oct 8
- MSU Dept. of History James W. Hammock, Jr. Scholarship Banquet, Curris Center, Sept. 15, 7 p.m.
- Big River, Playhouse in the Park, Aug. 31 -
www.playhouseinthepark.net for tickets.
- Sanjie: A Chinese Shadow Puppet Play, Robert E. Johnson Theatre, Sept. 16 - 17, 7:30 p.m.; Sept. 18, 2:30 p.m.
- Family Caregiver Support Group, Emeritus at Murray (formerly Glendale Place, Sept. 17, 1:30 p.m.
- 4th Annual Murray Adult Spelling Bee, Murray Woman’s Club, Sept. 24, 6:30 p.m. $25 for team of 3, call 270-753-2350 to register.
- Fort Heiman Camp #1834, Sons of Confederate Veterans Meeting, Old Penny Store, Sept. 24, 7 p.m., Speaker: Johnny Gingles.
- Farmer’s Market of Murray - Calloway County, Fridays 3 - 6 p.m.; Murray Main Street Farmer’s Market, Saturdays, 7 a.m. - Noon.
- Bethel University Offering New Online Bachelor of Science Programs, Starting Oct. 27 and Nov. 17, call 731-415-2560 for more info.
- Bank of Cadiz Travel Club hosts Holiday at Cheekwood & Franklin, Dec. 4, Register by Nov. 9, Space is limited,
www.bankofcadiz.com or call 270-759-4852 for more info.
Upcoming Ribbon Cuttings/Events:
Chamber on the Breakfast Show, WNBS 1340 AM, First and Third Mondays, 7:30 - 8 a.m.
Murray’s Fall City Wide Yard Sale, Sept. 15, call 270-759-2199 for more info.
Small Business Seminar, Commerce Center, Wednesdays thru Oct. 10, Noon - 1 p.m.: Aug. 22 - Marketing Your
Business; Aug. 29 - Building Relationships to Retain Customers; Sept. 5 - Promoting your Business through the
Media; Sept. 12 - Using Microsoft Outlook; Sept. 19 - Using Microsoft Excel; Sept. 26 - Retirement Planning;
Oct. 3 - Health Care Reform: What’s It Mean to Your Business; Oct. 10 - Top 10 Reasons Businesses Fail.
For more information
on becoming a member of the Murray-Calloway County
Chamber of Commerce or hosting a Chamber event contact
Lance Allison or Lisa Satterwhite at 753-5171.
Photo: Byars Family QuikCare is located at 4th and Chestnut Streets. Kim Byars, a Certified Family Nurse Practitioner,
offers a direct pay clinic and does accept insurance. Visits are $40.00 and can include all in-office type tests such as Strep and Mono.
The clinic sees uninsured or insured patients who prefer to pay cash rather than face long waiting times. Call 270-753-5017.