Report by Lisa Satterwhite,
Chamber of Commerce
For Saturday, September 1, 2012
Did you know... The Chamber’s web site
www.mymurray.com has a variety of Chamber Saver coupons with discounts for area businesses? Log on for new coupons during the ‘Make A Day of It in Murray’ promotions and support our locally owned stores.
Coming Up Around Town:
- Laser Light Music Shows, Golden Pond
Planetarium, LBL, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays,
5:30 or 7 p.m., Saturdays 8 p.m., through Sept. 1;
Summer Nights Astronomy Programs, Golden Pond
Planetarium, LBL, Saturdays 8 p.m., through Sept. 1,
- WKMS ‘Cookies Sound Good’ Baking Contest,
Deadline to submit recipe and 250 word story of why
recipe is special, Sept. 3; Bake-Off, Sept. 15,
- Women’s Basic Self Defense Class, Balance Yoga,
200 N. 4th St., Wednesdays for 6 weeks beginning
Sept. 5, 5:15 p.m., call 270-227-4140.
- Scott Lathram Memorial Trooper Island Golf
Tournament, Lake Barkley State Park Resort, Sept. 6,
9 a.m., call 270-856-3721 for info.
- Active Parenting Now, Calloway Co. Extension Office,
Sept. 6 & 13, 5:30 - 8 p.m., call 753-1452 for more info.
- 2012 Fall Ball Instructional League Registration for Boys/Girls,
Ages 6-10 by 4/30/13, thru Sept. 7, call Park Office at 762-0325 for more info.
- Ice Cream Festival and Cruise-In, Court Square,
Sept. 7 - 8, call 270-759-9474 for festival info and
270-382-2139 for cruise-in.
- Run For Recovery 5K Run/Fun Walk, The Arboretum, MSU, Sept. 8, Registration:
8 a.m.; Start: 8:30 a.m., call 270-227-7632 for more info.
- Humane Society's Adoption and Pet ID Day, Ice Cream Festival, Court Square, Sept. 8
- A Festive Flower Workshop - Hands On DIY Floral
Design Class, A Festive Touch, 1625 St. Rt. 121 N.
Bypass, Sept. 8, 1 p.m., $30, all goods provided,
- Alzheimer Support Group, Weaks Community Center, Sept. 11, 5 - 6:30 p.m.
- Murray’s Citywide Yard Sale, Sept. 15, call 759-2199 for map info
- 'Proofs' Juried Photography Competition Reception, Robert O. Miller
Conference Center, Sept. 15, 6 - 8 p.m.; Exhibit thru Oct 8
- MSU Dept. of History James W. Hammock, Jr. Scholarship Banquet, Curris Center, Sept. 15, 7 p.m.
- Big River, Playhouse in the Park, Aug. 31 -
www.playhouseinthepark.net for tickets.
- Sanjie: A Chinese Shadow Puppet Play, Robert E. Johnson Theatre, Sept. 16 - 17, 7:30 p.m.; Sept. 18, 2:30 p.m.
- Family Caregiver Support Group, Emeritus at Murray (formerly Glendale Place, Sept. 17, 1:30 p.m.
- 4th Annual Murray Adult Spelling Bee, Murray Woman’s Club, Sept. 24, 6:30 p.m. $25 for team of 3, call 270-753-2350 to register.
- Farmer’s Market of Murray - Calloway County,
Fridays 3 - 6 p.m.; Murray Main Street Farmer’s
Market, Saturdays, 7 a.m. - Noon.
- Bethel University Offering New Online Bachelor of Science Programs, Starting Oct. 27 and Nov. 17, call 731-415-2560 for more info.
- Bank of Cadiz Travel Club hosts Holiday at Cheekwood & Franklin, Dec. 4, Register by Nov. 9, Space is limited,
www.bankofcadiz.com or call 270-759-4852 for more info.
Welcome New Chamber Members:
Modern Woodmen of America, Kevin Lamb, life insurance/retirement, PO Box 915, Murray, KY 42071, 270-978-0551.
Feld Entertainment, April Oliphant events, 3885 Crestwood Pkwy, Suite 160, Duluth, GA, 300096, 678-436-0058.
Upcoming Ribbon Cuttings/Events:
Chamber on the Breakfast Show, WNBS 1340 AM, First
and Third Mondays, 7:30 - 8 a.m.
Murray’s Fall City
Wide Yard Sale, Sept. 15, call 270-759-2199 for more
Small Business Seminar, Commerce Center, Wednesdays
thru Oct. 10, Noon - 1 p.m.: Aug. 22 - Marketing Your
Business; Aug. 29 - Building Relationships to Retain
Customers; Sept. 5 - Promoting your Business through the
Media; Sept. 12 - Using Microsoft Outlook; Sept. 19 -
Using Microsoft Excel; Sept. 26 - Retirement Planning;
Oct. 3 - Health Care Reform: What’s It Mean to Your
Business; Oct. 10 - Top 10 Reasons Businesses Fail.
For more information
on becoming a member of the Murray-Calloway County
Chamber of Commerce or hosting a Chamber event contact
Lance Allison or Lisa Satterwhite at 753-5171.
Photo: Max’s 641 Towing at 516 South 12th Street has recently expanded
its services to include Hertz rentals. Open Monday through Saturday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., call 753-7712 for competitive rates.